Just a Taiwanese-American blogging about his travels outdoors and occasionally about his thoughts on life.

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Zenkoji Temple, Nagano, Japan p.2

Have I already mentioned that Nagano is cold? Because it is. It is so cold! I did not think it could get colder but lo and behold, it did. According to the weather forecast, its only 19F but it sure feels a lot colder. 

I woke up today at 600am to visit Zenkoji Temple with my roommate Jae. Jae is a 20 year old South Korean guy who knew quite a few languages because he had lived in many countries before.




I thought it would only take 20 minutes to walk there but the place i thought was the temple was actually just a school so we had to run a bit to catch the morning ceremony (Oasaji) at 700am.

The morning ceremony was neat. Everyone attending lines up along the temple courtyard as the abbots and priest walk down the center into the center. As the priest walks past you, you, along with everyone else, are on your knees and the priest lightly hits your head with some beads.





After the temple, we checked out arcade street on Gondo street. There was not much to see because it was still early in the morning and nothing was open.

Now I am back home in the warm living room of the hostel just taking a break. In an hour, I will get on the train and head southwest towards Nagoya and transfer onto the Shinkansen towards Kyoto. In total, the trip should take 3-4 hours.

I plan on throwing away some pants and a jacket to make space for a jacket. I should have just brought  thicker jacket rather than play with layers.
SHARE:
© Willy's Outdoor Adventures

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig