Just a Taiwanese-American blogging about his travels outdoors and occasionally his thoughts on life.

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Imperial Palace, Akihabara, Asakusa, Tokyo, Japan p.3

On Saturday I went to the Imperial Palace near Tokyo station. There was not much to do there because people cannot enter the palace but I suppose its worth it to just stop by and get a glimpse of the thing anyways since it doesnt take much time.





After the palace, I hopped back on the train and headed north towards Akihabara.

Akihabara is a district known mostly for its electronics. The area is electronics overload. Every store is selling a different kind of electronic and everything around you is either glowing or flashing. To imagine what the streets of Akihabara Electric town look like, imagine the streets of SF Chinatown, except the streets are clean.




In addition to the multitude of electronic stores, there are also many multi-level department stores that have floors devoted solely to video-games, arcades, or figurines. Akihabara is definitely an interesting place for someone not native to Japan.

From Akihabara, it was on to Asakusa. To get there, I continued riding the JR Yamamote line north to Ueno. While transferring lines in Ueno, I noticed a park next to the station and decided to visit.

Ueno Park

After switching onto the Ginza line at Ueno, I finally arrived in Asakusa. There are a few things you could do at Asakusa. There is a famous shopping street as well as the Tokyo Skytree. For me, I went to check out the Sensoji Temple.



The temple was pretty crowded when I went. I think it was because of the time of month. Many people lined up to either get their fortunes told or pray for good luck in the coming year. On the sides were many booths set up selling either merchandise or food.



After the temple, I returned to Osaki, met up with Keizo, and picked up another couchsurfer, Wen. Together, we went out for dinner and karoke.

All in all, it was a pretty decent day.
SHARE:
Blog Layout Designed by pipdig