Thursday, January 14, 2016

Genentech 2016


As the new year rolls around, I feel it is relevant to update the blog on what I've been doing and what I plan to do with my life as a chemist.

Boldly declaring that I would only stay at Genentech for only a year and no more, I enter my second year and inch towards my third as a contract research associate/scientific researcher/chemist/blah blah blah.

At the moment, I have sent out applications to various MBA programs on the west coast. There is no other place domestically I would like to go to for school. I won't even consider the east.

There are times when I ask myself whether pursuing an MBA is really the right thing for me to do. The idea definitely interests me and the career possibilities are tantalizing, but I'm plagued with uncertainty. Uncertainties that I imagine normally arise when you're about to commit such a substantial financial and time investment.

But perhaps that is how life is for most young individuals. I think a lot of people don't really know what they are doing or what they want to do until they actually do it. All that is driving them are their interests. I'm sure some individuals go into their careers and lives with clarity, but at least for me, I seem to learn what I want, as I go, which makes the often-asked question, "How do you know you want to do XYZ," a difficult question.

In terms of my Chemistry career development, I am doing quite well in my position at Genentech. Although every now and then you are reminded why it sucks to be a contractor; overall, the experience has been extremely positive.

If the MBA does not turn out for me and I stay within the realm of Chemistry, I would like to explore the job market again. Not a complete shift away from medicinal chemistry, but rather, a temporary departure to explore what else is out there. A journey to gain perspective, if you will. Medicinal chemistry is definitely where I want to end as an organic chemist, but life is about the experiences you fill it with and I want to see what other jobs exists out there.
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Outdoor Adventures and Life

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig