Taiwanese-American blogging about his travels outdoors and occasionally his thoughts on life.

Friday, May 27, 2016

Bouldering Weekend in Bishop, California, United States part 2

When we awoke the next morning, our plan was clear; Friday, we were to hit up the SADS climbing area (see: https://www.mountainproject.com/v/sad-boulders/106068462).

Breakfast was quick and we packed our day packs. I purchased the camping permit and we left for climbing. The approach to the SADS was identical to theapproach to the HAPPYS. Mainly because the two climbing areas are right next to one another.

Going to Bishop in June, we expected there to be a decrease in the amount of climbers. We did not expect that number to be close to zero. Not only that, but the weather was wonderful (to an extent). According to Mountain Project (see: https://www.mountainproject.com/v/bishop-area/106064825), we were expecting hot weather, instead, we found perfect weather (to an extent). During the morning, the temperature was perfect. But very quickly, a wind would pick up, typically around noon. Depending on where you were that day, it could be manageable, or terrible. That day at the SADS, it was terrible.

The wind was just so relentless.

When you top out on a problem, the force at which the wind hits you is considerable and easily makes you think twice about walking near edges. Not only that, but you're constantly being hit by sand in the face and mouth.

It made climbing at the SADS unpleasant.

But sand aside, I didn't really enjoy myself too much at the SADS. Most of the problems were incredibly sharp on the fingers, due to the nature of the rock, and I simply didn't want to risk ruining my fingers for the sake of a problem. Worse, I didn't want to suffer an injury so early into the trip.

Thus, I mostly watched Keira attempt finger torturous problems that morning while occasionally tackling problem here and there.

All in all, a lukewarm beginning to my return to Bishop. Lunch was great however, Keira has renewed my faith in the existence of hummus.

Additionally, getting fuel for my Jetboil was the prudent decision to make. The winds at night were horrendous, way worse than the winds during the afternoon. For instance, when we came back to our campsite around early evening, our tents were completely blown over, held in place only by the weight of our sleeping bags and belongings. The winds at night seemed twice at bad. So imagine starting a flame to cook in that condition.

Thanks to the Jetboil's design, cooking water or meals was still fast, faster than Keira's stove top. Her stove top was simply too exposed to the wind and it made maintaining a heat spot on the pan difficult. Nonetheless, we made it work and dinner was wonderful. Pasta and beer!

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig