Just a Taiwanese-American blogging about his travels outdoors and occasionally about his thoughts on life.

Friday, May 27, 2016

Bouldering Weekend in Bishop, California, United States part 4

The latter half of Saturday was spent at the HAPPYS (see: https://www.mountainproject.com/v/happy-boulders/105799640).

I have to say, out of the three places that we visited during our stay in Bishop, the HAPPYS probably appealed to me the most. Not that I didn't know what was in store for me at the HAPPYS, but from an evolved understanding of bouldering, I appreciate it in a different regard than when I first came to Bishop. The problems there didn't punish the fingers and the finishes were reasonably heighted. The area was perfect in my opinion and will be probably be my main point of focus the next time I return.

Sadly, there are not too many pictures to post of us climbing to Bishop. After all, there was only two of us and we had to constantly spot one another during climbs.



We warmed up on some V0s, V1s, and eventually found ourselves for the rest of the afternoon in Slow Dance Cave. At some point, I tore something in my wrist attempting Meth Squealer's V2 sit-start. The rip may not have been audible to Keira, but to me it seemed deafening. Strangely enough however, I still had strength and mobility in my hand to continue on and finish the problem. It wasn't until the following days that the stiffness and pain presented themselves. In particular, pain sets in only when I push against something, but not when I pull. Oh well, I'll most likely rest for a week before returning to the gym.

One problem that I absolutely LOVED, that fit my style perfectly, was All-Nighter Hueco V3, located in Slow Dance Cave (see: https://www.mountainproject.com/v/all-nighter/107032817). But alas, just before I finished the problem, I burnt out and couldn't find myself to finish. Another day...another day.

Aside from that, not much to add about the HAPPYS other than to remark that the weather was great, the wind was kind, and the site populated with just enough people to keep things lively but not enough to make tackling problems annoying.


Afterwards, we went into town to drop off some climbing shoes for repair, buy some snacks for dinner from the amazing Eric Schaat's Bakkery, clean off at Keough's Hot Spring, and watched the movie Angry Birds ( Keira didn't have a choice, I wanted to see the movie and I had the keys to the car).





Definitely check out the stores in town. Bishop may be small, but they have an abundance of small wonders lining the main street. And by wonders, I don't mean the local Vons or K-Mart.

Also, Angry Birds was a fun movie and I suggest going to see it as well.
SHARE:
© Willy's Outdoor Adventures

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig