Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Trail Running at Cave Creek Regional Park, Arizona

Last Sunday, I found myself at Cave Creek Regional Park running trails in the hills. I didn't know what to expect but I wanted to get back into shape after weeks of projects and studying, and running seemed like a good start.

I assumed the group would run somewhere between 3-4 miles, but we ended up doing 6.72 miles of mostly incline instead. To be fair, I had the option of doing easier routes. However, I wanted to challenge myself and see where my fitness level was in terms of running.

I used to run a lot. I ran for cross country. I played a lot of soccer and basketball. I even dabbled in track briefly. But then I got burnt out and my knees started really acting up during college. So I stopped.




From the parking lot, we started on the Slate Trail. Then we connected to the Quartz Trail, heading north. Finally, we jumped onto the Go John Trail and ran counter clockwise all the way back to the lot. Our trail run looked something like this:


At the end of the day, although the trail was incredibly tough, it was very fun. There was a lot of variety to the trail that I appreciated and the views were nice. The sights weren't breathtaking or anything, but they weren't boring either.

Will I run this trail again? I don't think so. My knees just can't handle it. Near the end, there's about half a mile of decline that destroyed my knees.

For healthier individuals, I highly recommend this trail.

Here are some additional stats from Auden's fitness tracker:




For more information about the park, go here: http://www.maricopacountyparks.net/park-locator/cave-creek-regional-park/
SHARE:
© Outdoor Adventures and Life

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig